Saturday, January 5, 2013

Update on a coif

Note: I first started the draft on this post back in November. The first two paragraphs and the top photo is from then.

I'm still slogging along on the coif. I like how very straightforward the design is. All geometric and not too complicated, but still an eye catching result. I get distracted with other projects, but I can take this anywhere. I worked on it through most of the week of Hurricane Sandy, and stopped only when I ran out of floss. I have restocked, and all is well.

You need to peer closely, but on the upper left corner you can make out some of the back stitching.

By December, I managed to finish the grid and make my eyes sore for a couple of days from staring so much as at the warp and weft. I'm a bit more careful now with my eye muscles. I washed off the grid marker, got blue on the threads because I was too distracted to wash them off, and drew in the diagonal lines. Which I forgot to photograph. My silliness can be annoying.

The diagonals are done in chain stitch, with the lines all pointing up. Between the larger stitches and less lines overall, it only took a few weeks to complete. The blue is now fully washed off, and the coif is ironed and awaiting the next stage. I'll hold off on that for now in favor of my other embroidery project and some other sewing plans.


No comments:

Post a Comment